Since we are in the business of fixing computer issues we have seen almost every possible problem. However, there are quite a few that reoccur and we have taken notice. Here are some of the most popular computer problems and possible ways to fix them!
1. WHY IS MY COMPUTER SO SLOW!?
First Step: Relax.
Second Step: Make sure that your computer is the source of the problem. Many people misidentify this issue thinking that it is the computer running slow but actually it is the internet connection.
Third Step: If you have checked your broadband speed and can confirm that it is in fact your computer running slowly there a few ways to attack your speed dilemma.
- Make sure you have enough free space in your hard drive for you computer to operate at decent level. This gives you the perfect chance to clear out those old files you don't need (your folder of useless gifs).
- Microsoft's System Configuration can also help when starting up your computer. Once you access this you will be able to select applications that you want to run automatically on boot up and take away the ones you don't want.
- The last option is kind of scary if you are not fully sure on what each program is but using the Startup Item and Manufacturer columns is the best way to figure out which potential performance-killers you can safely disable to increase your computers speed.
2. Downloads. More Like Slowloads!
Staying with the theme of things moving slow, we often get complaints of "Why are my downloads taking forever?". The most common answer to this question is simply your internet is way too slow. So, how do you know if you have a good connection? Check out speedtest.net. The website will give you information on your computers speed, from there you can either find a better Wi-Fi signal or call your service provider to let them know your speed is way down. An average internet speed in today’s world is usually between 3-6 mbps.
3. Google Doesn't Look Like Google
You open your browser and your homepage doesn't look like your normal homepage. You think maybe it's just a marketing campaign that Google is running to change up the style. I'll let you in on a secret, they're not! Browser hijackers are a breed of malware. These programs will take over your Web browser and can redirect your Google searches and other queries to fake pages meant to steal your personal information or to further infect your system.
The best way to get rid of this problem is to delete your current browser and re install while making sure that your antivirus is wrong to detect any possible attacks.
4. My Printer Won't Print
Listen, sometimes printers are the hardest issues to solve. They have a mind of their own (that's a fact), but there are a few steps to lead you to printer success. Let's go through the basics:
- Check that there is enough paper/ink
- Try turning the printer off and back on again (make sure it was powered on in the first place)
- Unplug the printer completely and plug it back in
- Check the queue status and see if your document is being processed
- Make sure your printer is not checked as offline in the printer settings
If none of those possible solutions work... you better have your quill and ink handy because there is no other choice but to go back to the 1700's. Just kidding, that's when you call us or find someone who has more experience dealing with the devil and we will have that printer fixed in no time!
5. My Wi-Fi Won't Stay Connected
Wireless internet is confusing and there are a few reasons why you may end up with a spotty connection. The most common reason that this is happening is because you are not in range of the router. I know how much it probably pains you to get up and move closer to the router but that is the best bet. There are a few other possibilities and solutions. Make sure your PC’s wireless card has the latest drivers. Also, try letting Windows troubleshoot for you by right-clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar and selecting Troubleshoot problems.
When Do I Give Up?
Don't let your pride get in the way. If you feel uncomfortable at all with how your computer is acting the best thing to do is step away and call someone with experience to help you. Most of the time when users try to solve problems on their own it ends up being in worse shape than it started out.